In the event an injury or illness leaves you unable to work, how will you make up for lost wages, cover medical costs and pay your living expenses such as your mortgage, utilities and groceries? Unfortunately, almost half of all working Canadians don’t believe they have enough funds to cover expenses if they are unable to work.
While the government compensates employees with disabilities through the Canadian Pension Plan (CPP), you must contribute to the plan and meet strict eligibility requirements. If you’re employed, this means paying half of the contributions, but if you are one of the more than 33% of self-employed Canadians you’re expected to make the full contribution and self-fund your disability insurance. Personal disability insurance from EDGE ensures you receive the protection you need – no matter if you’re self-employed or receive benefits from an employer – without having to jump through hoops to receive your benefit when it’s needed the most.
Disability coverage can insure against the loss of income due to injury or illness that prevents you from working by providing you with a monthly income replacement that can be used for anything you need – from paying medical bills to ensuring your family is still able to make car payments
EDGE Disability Income Replacement Features:
- Guaranteed issue injury-only coverage.
- Simplified underwriting process for illness coverage.
- Comprehensive disability coverage for injuries and illnesses.
- Multiple benefit amounts and benefit periods to choose from.
- Calculate your benefit amount using Gross Business Income or Net Earned Income.
- Choose an immediate-, short-, or longer-term waiting period to coordinate when you would start receiving your income replacement benefits.
- 24-hour coverage or non-occupational coverage for protection both on and off the job to complement workplace compensation benefits.
- Purchase multiple injury and/or illness protection plans with different options to increase overall coverage without necessarily increasing premiums in the same manner as a single plan with immediate, maximum benefits.
- Optional inexpensive riders to upgrade your coverage.
Income Protection – Injury-only Coverage
Every hour, 427 Canadians experience a preventable injury. Injury benefits provide affordable and easy to obtain income replacement, ideal for those with a limited budget or who don’t meet the qualifying criteria for illness coverage.
Income protection is guaranteed as long as the individual is between the ages of 18-69, works 20+ hours/week and 35+ weeks per year, and does not have any injury or pre-existing condition which restricts their bodily movement and daily activities.
By 2035 injuries will cost Canadians $75 billion
The EDGE Injury disability plan can be purchased with a benefit timeframe of 2-years, 5-years or ‘to age 70’. Benefits are payable until age 70 if the insured is disabled prior to age 68, or for 24 months if disabled between ages 68 and 75. Coverage terminates at age 75.
You may also be interested in The EDGE’s Fracture Accident Benefit which provides a lump-sum benefit payout to protect you from losses associated with an accident that results in a fracture, regardless whether that inhibits your ability to work.
Income Protection — Injury & Illness Coverage
In order to purchase illness coverage, you must also purchase (or already have) our injury coverage. In addition to qualifying for injury coverage, there is a simple underwriting process involved to receive illness-related income protection for those aged 18-64, with coverage to age 70.
Plan Design Options
Benefit amounts for injury and illness (either separate or combined) are available in increments of $500, from $1000 up to $5,000 for classes BB, B, A, AA and Exec. Amounts in $5,500 and $6,000 are also available for classes AA and Exec.
With waiting periods of 0, 30 and 120 days available, you can receive coverage immediately if needed, or choose a longer waiting period to coordinate benefits with EI or for a lower monthly premium. Plans are offered as 24-hour coverage to protect you no matter when an accident strikes, or as non-occupational coverage for protection off the job.
In addition to the monthly income replacement amount, standard benefits include:
- Accident medical treatment ($10,000)
- Return to work assistance
- Recurrent disability (6 months)
- Soft tissue coverage (with limitations)
- Waiver of premium (after 30 days and when benefits are payable)
Receive a quote for EDGE disability insurance today.